Wednesday, October 16, 2013

My Favorite 'Love Story' Movies: #6

Notting Hill - Starring:  Hugh Grant & Julia Roberts

IMDB Link: Notting Hill 

8Track Love Movie Playlist 

 My favorite song from the movie:  How Can You Mend A Broken Heart by Al Green

Why I love the movie:  Hugh Grant, as the male lead, is hysterically funny, shy and awkward as he tries to navigate falling in love with a gorgeous movie star while being just an ordinary man.  I think it's great that he owns a book store because that's been a dream of mine as well. 

There's his best friend and roommate, Spike, an artist who adds a sense of the creatively insane to the film.  That appeals to me since I think all artists, of any genre, are some form of the Mad Hatter.  (That needs to be a blog post of its own.)

The wonderful thing about Notting Hill is how it defines love.  It can bring us to our knees and lift us up so high we have to look down to see the stars.  It doesn't care about our plans or prejudices.  People are just people - rich or poor, gay or straight, black or white, sick or healthy.  Love is the great equalizer in this world.

My favorite quote from the movie:  "After all... I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her."

No comments:

Post a Comment