Wednesday, October 2, 2013

My Favorite 'Love Story' Movies: #12


P.S. I Love You - Starring:  Gerard Butler & Hillary Swank

IMDB Link: P.S. I Love You

8Track Love Song Playlist

My favorite song from the movie:  No Other Love by Chuck Prophet

Why I love the movie:  We all want to be remembered.  We wonder how we'll be remembered.  What memories did we make that were special to our children, our spouse?  Is there a brother, a sister or even a parent to remember us as a chubby child with a dirty face?  A friend to remember us as an awkward teenager that was full of potential to be an amazing adult?

It's not about sadness, grief or mourning.  We would much rather our loved ones celebrate the life we had and keep us alive in their memories with stories told to our grandchildren and great grandchildren.

The first moment this movie shattered me was after Gerry passed away, Holly kept calling his phone just to hear his voice on the voicemail message.  I sat, curled in a chair, sobbing until my ribs hurt.  We want to be remembered for the big things, or who we were as people, but it's something as small as our voice that is truly needed by those we leave behind. 

How Gerry has planned the year after his death to help his wife get on with her life is special and remarkable.  It's obvious he knew her even better than she knew herself to take her through each step of grief to acceptance and new love. 

I've included one of my favorite scenes from the movie.  Holly cannot fall sleep alone - it is then that she misses Gerry most.  I think everyone can relate to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment