Thursday, January 31, 2013

Funhouse


I think balance is an issue for most of us and I sure wish the doctors or scientists, whomever is trying to find the answers to this wonky disease, could tell us why that is.

I would swear that the doorways in my house move as I smack my hip against them over and over. I know where they are, the dimensions but still, I cannot seem to help misjudging every time and get a bruise to show for it. I stub my toe more than 'normal' people do for the same reason - "did the couch just jump at me?"

I have clearly seen a toy or something laying on the floor as I walked towards it and seconds later, tripped over it. Is it my vision that is skewed, my depth perception or is there trickery going on in my brain?

I drop things constantly. I have dropped the cap from a milk jug (let us not even talk about how hard it is to get that cap off sometimes because my hands hurt) and bent over to pick it up only to drop it again! I just stand there, staring between the cap on the floor and my hand, thinking - Really? Really?!

My husband and children have watched this dropsy, toe stubbing, hip banging and tripping, all while shaking their heads. The look in their eyes clearly says - We may need to put her in a home. (I'm joking, they would never do that. I hope.)

All of it is so frustrating and yes, at times it makes me sad and angry that fibromyalgia affects my life in so many ways, most of them very fundamental. But I try to laugh, even at myself and accept that living with fibromyalgia is much like living in the distortions of a funhouse. The skinny mirror is my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment