Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Flu & Fibro



The flu has been running rampant through our family for three weeks.  My son was the first to get it.  Then my husband, John.  Next came both grandchildren and then myself.  Now my daughter is getting it.  Somewhere in there, even my niece, Heather, got it.  She visits often to spend time with us (me) so maybe she got it here or possibly at work.  Either way, the flu has kicked our collective butts.  

It manifested differently for all of us.  John had a sore throat for a couple days before it slammed into him like a bus.  I had a cough for a day and then it ran smack over me too.  Heather was here visiting one night, felt fine and the next morning woke up with the flu full out.  So, whether it creeps up or punches you right in the face, it's been a nasty thing to have. 

It also seems to linger.  You get past the worst of it in a week or so but  still struggle with some symptoms for a while after.  I'm right in the middle of the worst of it.  My chest is burning, a bad cough, sinus infection, sinus headache, sore throat and ears.  

Where fibromyalgia comes into this post is my personal philosophy:  If you have a disease, you should be exempt from 'common' illness.  Whether it be cancer, MS, Parkinsons, fibromyalgia, RA, lyme's, chrons, lupus - whatever disease you happen to afflicted with, the point is that it's hard enough to live with those without a cold or a flu on top of it.

But it's just the opposite.  Rather than be exempt, we're more prone to becoming ill.  Our immune systems are compromised by the disease itself or from simply being exhausted and in pain.  Our doctors suggest a flu shot each year to help us, our weaker bodies.  Those shots hurt like mad.  The solution used is injected right into muscle and it leaves a bruise to ache for a few days afterwards.

I'm irritated that I have the flu shot every year - not at my Rheumatologist's suggestion but at his actual demand and I'm still sitting in a pile of used kleenex, surrounded by lip balm for chapped lips, chicken noodle soup and cold medications that I cannot take because of high blood pressure or they interact with this or that prescribed medication.  

I'm wishing, hoping and praying for Spring to arrive soon.  I want to open doors and windows and air out every bit of sick in my house.  Until then, the Ellen clip makes me laugh and feel a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment