Thursday, June 6, 2013

MRI - After.


I'm happy to report that the MRI was not the nightmare that I expected it to be.  That said, I do have a little story to tell about the experience.

I had a plan of attack for the MRI and specifically, claustrophobia.  As I mentioned on the previous post, the doctor had prescribed a sedation medication.  I was going to go to the medical imaging department an hour early, take the pill (or two) and then happily drool down my face until they came to get me. 

I did get to the hospital an hour early.  I checked in.  I found a semi-comfortable looking chair off in a corner so my snoring wouldn't bother anyone.  I had taken the pill just before arriving and pill #2 was on standby.   I was there less than five minutes when the technician came into the waiting room and called my name.

What?  Did I fall asleep for a whole hour and not remember?  No.  They were running early - and who has ever heard of anyone or anything running early in the medical field?

I stammered out, "bu..but.. I just took the sedation medication a few minutes ago.  I'm not sleepy yet."  She didn't seem to care.  What she did care about was they were ahead of schedule so shift my ass into gear and follow along.

Nooooo.  The coffin without the benefit of drugs?  No nice siesta in the donut of horror?  Smelling the hot sick of panic on my breath as it bounced off the machine and smacked me in the face?

I walked very slowly to the room, hoping that each dragging step would give the medication time to work.  No such luck.  This was not a morphine button or a shot of dilaudid in the butt cheek, where within three minutes, you get this huge smile on your face and start singing The Beatles - Yellow Submarine. 

I levered myself onto the cold slab.  Another technician wandered in and both of them hovered around me, getting things ready.  My nervousness must have been evident because they told me they got a new, wider machine.  (Or maybe it's because I'm plump and they wanted to reassure me that I wouldn't get stuck in there like Pooh Bear.)

They suggested I wear a cloth over my eyes so I couldn't see the cage that would come over my face and lock my head into place.  Thank you for the Hannibal Lector visual.

I was finally ready and slowly slid into the hole, concentrating fiercely on slow, even breaths.  I have to admit here and now that the cloth over my eyes was the saving grace.  Not being able to see myself so enclosed was much better.  I had headphones on playing country music and that relaxed me as well.  I did have a bit more arm room in this new machine.

All of those things allowed me to get through the hour long MRI but I was still relieved when they brought me out and said I was done. 

I went home, sat down at my desk to surf the internet and thought about the sedation medication.  Not working at all, never did.  What a joke.  Could have eaten a Tic-Tac.

Ten minutes later, my head lolled backwards and drool began to puddle on my lower lip.  Fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment